Industrial Wireless Networks Programme
Toshiba’s Bristol Research and Innovation Laboratory (BRIL) are currently building an extremely large smart city testbed for open Industrial Internet of Things (IoT) research. This will involve more than 200 multi-radio IoT units deployed on lampposts and buildings across the city and provide a platform for exploring cutting-edge wireless technologies and future Industrial IoT (IIoT) systems.
A fixed-term research and development position for a government funded project is available at the Bristol Research and Innovation Laboratory of Toshiba Research Europe Limited, UK. Wireless Network Engineer is a key role for making this ambitious project a success. The project aims to go beyond the IoT hype and actualize multiple Cyber Physical Systems testbeds along with deploying several applications for smart city and Industry 4.0 domains in real-world settings.
The ideal candidate is expected to have finished his/her M.Sc or M.Eng in electronics, computer science, telecommunications, or a related field.
- To propose novel patentable ideas and implement communication systems for communication as well as localization.
- To design and develop communication stacks and protocols for the testbed.
- Design and develop testbed management mechanism for testing job scheduling and orchestration.
- To extensively benchmark multiple wireless systems by exploiting testbeds and using scientifically acceptable techniques and methods.
- To keep him/herself updated with the latest advancements in wireless technologies on the standardization front.
- Experience with multiple wireless communication technologies such as IEEE 802.15.4, Bluetooth Low Energy, LoRa, IEEE 802.11 and Ultrawide band.
- Expertise in wireless networking protocols (MAC, routing etc.) is mandatory.
- Ability to appreciate the strengths of different wireless technologies and propose and implement appropriate protocol designs to meet specific needs of applications.
- Proficiency with programming embedded hardware containing low power microcontrollers and transceivers.
- Hands-on skills to program using high level programming languages Python, Java, etc.
- Prior experience of programming with embedded operating system such as Contiki, RTOS, ARM Mbed OS and Zephyr is a plus.
- Strong ethics to work independently and in a highly collaborative team environment.
Salary £40k to £50k depending on experience plus a generous benefit package.