About the Company: TMEIC drives industry around the world through a comprehensive offering of unique systems solutions including variable frequency drives, motors, photovoltaic inverters, BESS inverters and advanced automation systems for a wide range of industrial applications. Established in 2003, Toshiba Mitsubishi-Electric Industrial Systems Corporation (TMEIC) resulted from the integration of Toshiba and Mitsubishi Electric Corporation’s industrial systems divisions.
Reporting to the General Manager Renewable Energy, the Senior Energy Storage Development Engineer is responsible for coordinating the activities of the ESS technical team in the development of energy storage projects in UK and Europe. The Senior Energy Storage Development Engineer will be providing technical leadership to the business and will also lead the technical feasibility and early-stage equipment selection for BESS projects in the UK and Europe.
- High level design of grid scale battery storage systems including preparing site layout drawings, augmentation optimisation, control/monitoring system and ancillary system specification.
- Lead the configuration and equipment selection for the design and development of BESS projects
- Evaluate new and existing storage technologies and equipment suppliers available for the deployment of energy storage projects.
- Review project specific constraints, specify technical requirements and collaborate with internal team and subcontractors to optimise the design and engineering solutions.
- Coordinate the design and procurement activities by interfacing with other TMEIC teams in Japan, Europe, USA and India.
- Assess energy storage technologies for technical performance and useful life, as well as current and projected technology costs
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in engineering (Electrical Power Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Computer Science Engineering or equivalent)
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum three (3) years experience with the design, development or integration of energy storage projects
- Proven technical knowledge of Li-ion batteries and degradation issues
- In-depth technical competency and track record with energy storage technologies
- Proven technical knowledge of electrical plant items and control systems such as transformers, switchgear, inverters battery storage system integration, SCADA metering, control systems and communication protocol (such as TCP/IP, Modbus, Profinet)
- Ability to understand electrical single line diagrams and identify minimum electrical design requirements
- Technical knowledge of grid forming inverters, synchronous compensators and grid stability parameters such as fault ride through, retained voltage, short circuit levels events, frequency and ROCOF events.
- Familiarity and experience with modelling and analysis software such as NREL SAM (System Advisory Model) or equivalent
- Familiarity and experience with Transmission & Distribution network and Grid Code requirements in UK
- Experience with power systems simulation software (PowerFactory, PowerWorld or similar)
- Solid knowledge of leading global key equipment suppliers of BESS systems
- Experience in assessing distributed energy storage options, other than BESS, and smart grid technology
- Familiarity with one or more programming languages such as Python, VBA or HTML
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Some international travel required