Toshiba’s Bristol Research & Innovation Laboratory (BRIL) has an established track-record of innovation in wireless communications. Located in Bristol, UK, one of England’s most attractive city centres, it works closely with numerous partners, including nearby University of Bristol; it files patents, publishes in leading peer-reviewed journals and conferences, and transfers advanced concepts and prototypes to Toshiba’s business divisions.
Applicants should be junior researchers with a PhD in the relevant research area (or working towards completion of a PhD programme). Research engineers are expected to be motivated to innovate, produce high quality publications and able to work independently while thriving in a team environment.
Candidate’s research skills mentioned on their CV should be supported by evidence in terms of publications in journals, magazines, conferences, patents filed etc.
Job Description – 5G Wireless Systems:
The role involves research and development activities focused toward industrial applications of 5G technology. Through various internal and external projects, the candidate will have the opportunity of applying developed solutions in technology demonstrators and real-world environments. The candidate will also benefit from collaborations with various industrial research groups and business divisions within Toshiba Corporate R&D Center in Japan.
- Investigate novel protocols, algorithms and architectural designs for 5G-based industrial wireless systems.
- Developing and maintaining BRIL’s 5G hardware/software tools and platforms and conducting empirical evaluations.
- Developing and contributing to proof-of-concept demonstrators and technology trial activities.
- Contributions toward Toshiba’s future technology strategy and ongoing business-focused technical activities.
Key Qualifications and Skills:
- PhD (or near completion) in electrical/electronic engineering or computer science.
- Knowledge of mobile/cellular systems and protocol stack including 4G and 5G.
- Knowledge of software-defined networking (SDN) and network function virtualization (NFV) technologies and management/orchestration frameworks.
- Knowledge of networking (TCP/IP) protocols.
- Experience of developing link-level and system-level simulations.
- Experience with prototyping of mobile/cellular systems using open-source software stacks.
- Strong programming skills in any language (C, C++, Python, MATLAB, etc.) and experience with operating systems.
- Excellent team player with experience of working in collaborative projects.
- Strong publication track record in top-tier venues.
Salary £45k to £50k, depending on experience plus a generous benefit package will be offered. The Company is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment and will ensure that individuals are selected on the basis of their aptitudes, skills and abilities.