Research Engineer (5G/6G Wireless Systems)
The Bristol Research & Innovation Laboratory (BRIL) of Toshiba Europe Ltd. is at the cutting-edge of wireless and network systems research. Today, BRIL continues to make ground-breaking advances in emerging areas and create technologies that work towards a more sustainable environment, ensuring Toshiba has the capabilities to adhere to its long-standing statement of being “Committed to People, Committed to the Future.”
BRIL is seeking exceptional candidates for the full-time, two-year fixed term role of Research Engineer to support research and innovation activities in the areas of 5G/6G wireless systems. The role is broadly targeting industrial 5G systems, machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques, time-sensitive networking, and fundamental technologies toward 6G. The candidate will have the opportunity to shape Toshiba’s business strategy in these areas and support development and technology trial activities. The candidate will also benefit from collaborations with various industrial research groups and business divisions within Toshiba’s Corporate R&D Centre in Japan.
- Advanced algorithm development and protocol stack innovations in aforementioned areas.
- Conducting link-level and system-level simulations.
- Supporting BRIL’s deliverables in collaborative projects.
- Contributions toward technology proof-of-concepts and demonstrations.
- Generating IP and high-quality publications for top-tier venues.
- Investigating 3GPP and related standardization activities for advanced technology features.
Key Qualifications and Skills:
- Ph.D. (or near completion) in electrical/electronic engineering, computer science or any related discipline.
- Knowledge of mobile/cellular systems and 3GPP standards (Releases 15/16/17).
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of O-RAN, OpenRAN and other open-source initiatives around 5G.
- Knowledge of networking (TCP/IP) protocols.
- Strong programming skills in any language (C, C++, Python, etc.).
- Excellent team player with experience of working in collaborative projects.
- Background in machine learning techniques for wireless systems is desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of telecoms policy issues and ecosystem is desirable.
Generous salary and benefit package commensurate with experience. The Company is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment and will ensure that individuals are selected on the basis of their aptitudes, skills and abilities.